1885---131st Anniversary year---2016 'We fear No Foe

Understood by those that matter

Tuesday, 1 December 2015

Burton Albion 2 Millwall 1, League One, Game 20, 1/12/15, att: 2,888 (490)

The weather was good for this yet another northern trip. Incredible away support yet again for a Tuesday night

AND BURTON GO TOP (what are we doing wrong?)

With just two minutes in we get clobbered by some toe-rag tackles, but as usual we get nothing.
Sid Nelson started this one which is something that he hasn't done for awhile and over the course of the game done ok but did make mistakes. We dominated the first half and with Burton having just one up front our back line were coping well. We were having chances and looked strong and a nine minute free kick by Shaun Williams was cleared by the home side and picked up by Shaun Cummings who returned it back and Aiden O'Brien fired in a shot but unfortunately straight at the keeper. Steve Morison shortly afterwards zipped through two defenders but his effort landed on the roof of the net and it was still 0-0. A deliberate hand ball is usually a booking and maybe a sending off but by no stretched of the imagination can a loose ball that bounces off a players arm be classed as deliberate but this was and Aiden O'Brien got booked for it after he had put the ball in the back of the net. Stitch up.

Burton go on to score two goals which rocked us and half time couldn't come quick enough.I have no idea if it was Burton's manager Jimmy Floyd Hasslebank's magic but they scored two goals close to half time with a Steve Morison fierce effort in between them that was saved at full stretch by the Burton keeper. Jordan Archer was at his best and made sure Burton did not go in at half time with three goals to their tally as he some how made a double save that people will be talking about for years to come.

 Half time and we go in gutted.

It's all to do

We gave it all in the 2nd half and Aiden O'Brien and Mark Beever's had early chances and if Steve Morison had got to a ball that dropped tantalising close to him we could have pulled a goal back earlier in the game than we actually did. We put Burton under a lot of pressure and with 15 minutes to go Joe Martin tucked one home after a goal mouth scramble and we were back in it. The 490 travelling Wall were making themselves heard and screamed for a penalty when Aiden O'Brien appeared to be fouled to the ground. Young Fred Onyedinma nearly started Christmas early when he executed a overhead kick that stopped the heart for a second as it narrowly just missed wide of the upright.That was that.
To finish the game off Mark Beever's got sent for nothing and he won't be playing in the Wycombe FA Cup game come this Saturday.

I hope losing away does not become a regular occurrence as you don't win titles by getting done on the road.

Millwall: Archer, Cummings(Upson 90m), J.Martin, Nelson, Beevers, Ferguson(Gregory 46m), Williams, Saville(Thompson 46m), Onyedinma, O'Brien, Morison
subs not used, Forde, Wood, L.Martin, Edwards

Goal: J.Martin 75m

Burton Albion: McLaughlin, Edwards, Mousinho, Flanagan, McCrory, Duffy, Naylor, Butcher, O'Conner, El Khayati (Atkins 90+2), Beavon (Thiele 49m),
subs not used, Mathews, Reilly, Joachim, Binnon-Williams, Palmer

Goals: McCrory 35m,  El Khayati 42m